Wednesday, September 13, 2017

WARRIORS


Today, after work, I did something that reminded me that I'm alive.

I ran a 5K Fun Run put on by THE NEBRASKA MARATHON (I am signed up to run the full marathon on October 15, 2017...just 32 days from today.  You should sign up too!).

This was another great event put on by the race directors, Joe and Ryan Sutter (father and son duo).

While cooling down, a lady approached me and asked my name.  I told her, and she said that she was a regular reader to the BEST YEAR YET blog.  

Although we had never met, Jennifer and I have been friends on Facebook for a while now. She told me that she is Joe's (the race director) sister and that she just LOVES volunteering with the race.

Since she has read the BEST YEAR YET blog, she knew that I went through Prostate Cancer last year.  We talked about it and she told me that in November, it will be her 5 year Survivor Anniversary.  

I like to call it her "WARRIOR ANNIVERSARY!"

I gave her a "Hi-5" and we talked a bit about life and purpose and perspective that we both have.

I have written about my friend Khit from Chicago here.  She is also a WARRIOR!  Actually, I call her the "Warrior Princess!"  She is one B.A.  Recently, she had her 10 year "Warrior Anniversary!"

WARRIORS.

My buddy in Oregon....he too is a cancer WARRIOR, as well as my fellow ROCK-N-LAW, Steve.

WARRIORS.....ALL of them.

I know there are WARRIORS who have lost the battle.  WARRIORS still the same!

With September being PROSTATE HEALTH AWARENESS MONTH, as well as CHILDHOOD CANCER AWARENESS MONTH and October being BREAST CANCER AWARENESS MONTH, I thought I would give all the WARRIORS out there a SHOUT OUT!

There's a good chance that you know someone that is battling right now.  Reach out to them and just be there for them.  You might think that they just want to be left alone.  Some might, but even if it is a quick "hello" or a text to see if they watched the game over the weekend...they would enjoy knowing that you are thinking of them.

For those that have gone on, do something in their honor.  Find a charity race to run that supports their cause.  If you can't run or don't want to, make a donation in their honor. There are MANY great organizations out there that are fighting to rid the world of this vile disease. Find one that you can get behind and support them with you time and your resources.

Here's to all the "WARRIORS," "PRINCESS WARRIORS," "SUPER HERO KID WARRIORS" that are out there.  KEEP FIGHTING!


No comments:

Post a Comment