Monday, September 25, 2017

TODAY IS YOUR DAY



Recently, I was talking to a friend.

I asked, "what do you want to be when you grow up?"

I know some may find it silly to ask an adult this question, but I like to ask it, even of myself.

The heart of the questions is "where do you see yourself in 3-5-10 years?"

Some would confuse this question to think it is asking for a career change.  It COULD be a career change or just CHANGE or GROWTH within the current environment.

At a high level, we discussed:

  • Have a plan
    • Don't just "wish" the change.  Have a plan that gets you prepared.  There's a quote attributed to Abraham Lincoln that says, "Give me 6 hours to chop down a tree and I'll spend the first 4 sharpening the axe."
    • Preparation time is never wasted time.
  • Set Goals
    • If the goals are just in your head, those are called DREAMS.  Dreams are good, but they need substance to them
    • WRITE them down and keep them in front of you
  • 12 Week Sprint
    • I like setting goals for a short period of time:  12 Weeks....far enough away you have to stretch for them...close enough to "see" the finish line!
  • Controllable Actions
    • Your GOALS should contain key drivers or actions you can control.  Something measurable that let's you know if you are progressing or not.
I'm sure there are other things to do, but if you have a desire, in your BEST YEAR YET, to  grow into your current role or out of your current role, spend some time thinking about these 4 Keys.

There is a Chinese Proverb that says, "The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago.  The second best time is NOW."

So when it comes to starting your journey, as our friend Dr. Seuss put it, "....TODAY is your day!"


No comments:

Post a Comment