Friday, September 15, 2017

VISIONARY



I mentioned a couple of days ago that this month, September, is Childhood Cancer Awareness Month.

I want to spend today's BEST YEAR YET blog talking about VISION and specifically one VISIONARY, Danny Thomas.

Danny Thomas is the founder of St. Jude Children's Research Hospital in Memphis, TN (to see a short video about the history of St. Judes, click HERE).

As the story goes, Danny was a struggling entertainer.  He prayed to St. Jude Thaddeus, Patron Saint of Hopeless Causes, and said, "Help me find my way in life and I will build you a shrine"

After Danny became a success, he kept his promise.  He didn't want to just erect a statue, but to do something that would have lasting impact.  Thus, St. Jude Children's Research Hospital was born.

His VISION was that any child, from around the world, regardless of race, creed or economic status, would be able to receive the necessary medical help for life threatening diseases.  The kicker.....NO family would ever pay.

VISIONARY.

I'm sure many, when hearing of the VISION he had, came back with, "HOW are you going to do this?"  Probably fewer said, "WOW!"

But the WOW he started has continued for over 55 years.

When they first opened the doors of St. Jude in 1962, less that 1 in 5 survived childhood cancer.  Today, the survival rate has risen to 4 in 5 (80%)...but that's not good enough. They won't stop until NO child dies from cancer.

VISIONARY.

Personally, I haven't had a family member go through treatment at St. Jude's, but I have close friends who have.  They have told me of how thankful they are for St. Jude's and the care that their child received....all because of one VISIONARY!


FINAL NOTE:

This month (and any other for that matter), please consider partnering with St. Jude and donating what you can.  

Many of you know that since 2014, I have ran different marathons as a St. Jude Hero, raising money and awareness for this great cause (this year I'm taking a break from running the big marathons).  

You have been so gracious in your support of St. Jude's and my efforts as a St. Jude Hero, and even though I'm not running as a Hero this year, your support would still be greatly appreciated.

There are many ways to give, go to www.stjude.org, and on the right side of the home page there is a link, "Ways to Give."  As Danny Thomas once said, "No child should die in the dawn of life."



No comments:

Post a Comment