Monday, February 19, 2018

R IS FOR...



MILE 18....LETTER R.

RESPECTFUL.

What a fitting word for the LETTER R.

"It is important to show other kindness and respect when they are trying to make you feel better."

I was taught, growing up, that if you didn't have anything nice to say about someone or something, don't say anything at all.

Sometimes I passed that test.  Other times, I learned.

That learning has come in handy as I have "seasoned."

I identify with our artist in today's post.

I have written it here, but in 2016, I had a 2, 5 day stays in the hospital.  One for a bacterial infection I got from a medical procedure.  The other, a prostatectomy to remove cancer from my body.

I think I was an ok patient....at times.  For both stays, I was in a great deal of pain and was medicated pretty heavily.  

I was tethered to an IV with much needed medication and nutrients flowing into me at all times.  One such time, I had to go to the bathroom.  When in the bathroom, I must have hit the cord to alert the nurse I needed assistance, except I don't remember doing it.  My nurse, doing her job, came in to make sure I was ok.  I was ok, but felt intruded upon.  I lit into her for ....well, doing her job.

I didn't express kindness and respect.  The CHEERLEADER let me know it too.  

Of course, I tried to excuse it away due to my pain...or the medication....but in reality, it was totally me being disrespectful to someone who was trying to help me.

I owned it.  I spoke to my nurse later in the day and apologized and asked her to forgive me for the outburst I had on her.

At times, we can be like that to those who love us and want to help or assist us...because they want the best for us.

So to those out there helping us....THANK YOU!  

FINAL NOTE: 
If your name begins with the letter R, would you consider a donation to St. Jude via my Boston Marathon donation page?  Any amount is greatly appreciated.  The link to the donation page is below.  THANK YOU!

https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign/stjudeheroes2018/timpete


No comments:

Post a Comment