Friday, February 9, 2018

H IS FOR...



Mile 8...Letter H

H IS FOR...

  • HOPE
  • HUNGER
  • HEPARIN
  • HEALTH
  • HOME
As we continue our journey down the ABCs of Cancer path, let's take a look at these 5 descriptors of the LETTER H.

HOPE ~ "because better things are coming..."
Many years ago I was reading in the Bible, in 1 Corinthians 13:13.  This chapter in 1 Corinthians is known as the GREAT LOVE CHAPTER in the Bible.  The Apostle Paul gets right after it when it comes to success (naturally and spiritually), knowledge, understanding, and other things we deem as noble (example, v 3), but we don't have LOVE, we really don't gain anything.

As the chapter concludes (v. 13), this statement is made, "Three things will last forever - faith, hope, and love - and the greatest of these is love." [NLT]

Many times, we only look at LOVE and to some extent acknowledge FAITH, but don't give the proper weight to HOPE.

HOPE is one of the "BIG THREE" and since it is grouped with the other two and all three will last forever, HOPE carries some weight!

The God kind of HOPE, as described in 1 Corinthians 13:13 means, "a confident expectation" which is much different than a wish.

Don't let go of HOPE, because, better things ARE coming!

HUNGER ~ "that you experience when you have to fast for scans or when you are sedated..."
HUNGER is such a driving force.  Whether you HUNGER for food to fuel your body; knowledge to fuel your mind; relationships to fuel your emotions.  Whatever you HUNGER for, you will pursue. 
What do you HUNGER for in your life?  Is it LIFE GIVING?

HEPARIN ~ "to prevent blood clots...clean out an IV or catheter after you received an IV fusion..."
HEPARIN is a "blood thinner" or "anticoagulant" that help prevent blood clots from forming in catheters that are left in veins over a long period of time.  
Did you know this?
I had a "small" understanding of this, but nothing to the extent that this young person knows.

In our lives, what can we do to prevent certain things from trying to "infect" us?  Think about little changes you can make to improve your life.

HEALTH ~ "because, it is HEALTH that is the real wealth."
Do you take your HEALTH for granted?  I know there have been times in the past that I have.  Mostly because I didn't pay attention to it until some "alarms" went off.  First was when I had some shortness of breath and I went to have some tests run. I was out of shape and overweight.  I had to do a treadmill test and the doctor who was overseeing the test, at one point, said to me, "Man, you're out of shape!"  Thanks for stating the obvious, Doc!
Next was a few years later when I "saw" myself and knew I had to change my diet and exercise habits...because I didn't have any!  The last time was when cancer invaded my body.  I didn't have any control over that, but we took it head on!  YOUR HEALTH TRULY IS YOUR WEALTH!  Take care of it...believe me, it's NOT too expensive!

HOME ~ "there is NO PLACE like HOME!"
No truer words can be spoken...especially if you are away from home by being in the hospital.  In 2016, I had 2, 5 days stays in the hospital.  10 days.  Some of these kids at St. Jude don't see their home for 9 weeks or better, depending on their protocol.  Makes 10 days seem like nothing.  But even 10 days is a long time, because, THERE IS NO PLACE LIKE HOME!

Although all of these pertain to a patient at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital, think about what each of the words means and how you can apply it to your life so that you can continue to have your BEST YEAR YET!


FINAL NOTE:
If you have been following along with our series on the ABCs of CANCER, you know that I have been asking you to donate to St. Jude and my running the Boston Marathon as a St. Jude Hero, on the day that the letter of the day coincides with the first letter of your name.  Today is H, so if it pertains to you, please consider a donation at the link below.  Any amount is greatly appreciated.  Thank you!






No comments:

Post a Comment