Monday, February 12, 2018

K IS FOR...



MILE 11...LETTER K.

I can't speak for everyone, but when running a marathon, there are different points throughout the race where I take an "inventory."

For me, Mile 11 is one of those places.

I'm usually not "gassed out" at this point, but I know I still have a long way to go.

I'm 2.1 miles from the half way point.

I'm 15.2 miles from the finish.

For me, I'm most likely 2 hours into the race and my thoughts begin to go toward food!

Here's a quick side note....When running the NYC Marathon in 2015, I was right at this point, maybe a little further when someone held up a sign that read, "C'MON...the Kenyon's are done and having a cold beverage by now."  That was a funny one!

OK...back to food!  

Today's letter....K....from our ABCs of CANCER journey is about the KAY KAFE that is at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital.

Food, whether for comfort or nutrition, plays a HUGE role in all or our lives.

Currently, in my training for the Boston Marathon, I have been closely watching my food and "macro" intake.  What does that all mean?  I have not idea...other than this is what has been prescribed for me and it is working!

Our Letter K artist was evidently impacted by the KAY KAFE.  Look at the variety of food they listed:

  • ICE CREAM (I love that this is at the TOP of the list!)
  • PIZZA
  • HAMBURGER
  • WATERMELON
  • SALAD ( I also find it amusing that this is at the bottom of the list!)
Last month, while I was in Memphis at St. Jude, I got to experience the KAY KAFE!

The food was GREAT!  Not your typical hospital food.

You know who else was enjoying the KAY KAFE?
  • Patients and their families
  • Staff workers
  • Doctors
  • Nurses
  • Other guests (like me)
In fact, the KAY KAFE is the only eating facility in the Hospital.  Danny Thomas, the founder of St. Jude Children's Research Hospital, felt that EVERYONE, no matter who their were, should eat together and be reminded of the Mission of St. Jude.

So, don't eat alone....don't do life alone.  We are all BETTER TOGETHER!


FINAL NOTE:
If your name begins with the letter K, would you consider a donation to St. Jude via my Boston Marathon donation page?  Any amount is greatly appreciated.  The link to the donation page is below.  Take a look at the picture below for what some amounts can do.  Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment