Sunday, December 31, 2017

2017 YEAR IN REVIEW



WOW!

Last day of 2017!  

Can you believe it?

At this time of the year, I love watching the YEAR IN REVIEW shows, whether it is sports, news, entertainment...whatever.

So I thought I would give you my YEAR IN REVIEW and what made it to the BEST YEAR YET blog and some that didn't.

Before I recap 2017, today is the 338th day in a row of the BEST YEAR YET blog.  As I have written before, it was on January 28, 2017 that the CHEERLEADER encouraged me to start this blog.  

At the time, I committed to myself that I would write and post a blog every day for the next 365 days.  ONE year of posts.

This was also a GREAT commitment for the CHEERLEADER.  She gave up time that we would normally be spending together, so that I could go to my home office and write.  I actually couldn't have done this without her.  She's been my biggest CHEERLEADER, proof reader, and sometimes subject encourager!  

Although 2017 is coming to a close, I'm going to keep my commitment that I made to myself and finish off the 365 days.  

After that 365th post on January 27th, we'll see what is next.

But for now, let's recap 2017.....

JANUARY - 
We said goodbye to 2016 and HELLO to 2017 as the CHEERLEADER and I enjoyed a quiet night at home watching the ball drop from Times Square.  This has become a great tradition for just the two of us.

January 1st, started training for the 2017 Lincoln Marathon.

The CHEERLEADER had her birthday.  I think she said she's "29 plus shipping and handling!"

January 28, 2017, the BEST YEAR YET blog has it's first entry!  

FEBRUARY - 
The CHEERLEADER and I took a much needed vacation to Puerto Vallarta.  We called this our "Kicking Cancer's Butt Tour."  2016 was tough with a cancer diagnosis and a couple of trips/stays at the hospital.  We had a great time relaxing, dreaming, reading and just spending time together.

Yep, kept the BEST YEAR YET blog going even while out of the country!

MARCH - 
Our son, Caleb, turned 26!  How did that happen?

APRIL - 
Had another "all clear" report from the doctor in regards to being Cancer Free.  I heard Marlo Thomas say one time, "The most exciting words on the planet, CANCER FREE!"  I would agree.

This was 8 months post surgery to have the cancer removed.  HAPPY DAY!

MAY - 
With all that went on in 2016 with my health, I also ran 4 marathons.  I told the CHEERLEADER, "if I ever say I'm going to run 4 marathons in a year, shake me!"  I set out to run 2 marathons in 2017, and May saw the first of the two with the running of the Lincoln Marathon in Lincoln, Nebraska.  This was my 8th marathon.

The day before the Lincoln Marathon, I had a chance to hear, meet and take a picture with Dave McGillivray, the race director of the Boston Marathon.  I told myself that "one day I will run Boston!"

Celebrated Mother's Day in Colorado with my Mom!

JUNE - 
Enjoyed another Father's Day with my kids and even took them all, one at a time, to a College World Series baseball game.  

June also saw a transition in my work as I resigned my position as an Executive Business Coach to go work for a local non-profit here in Omaha.

Also, our youngest son, Luke, turned 22!  How did that happen?

JULY - 
The CHEERLEADER and I celebrated our 31st wedding anniversary!

Every year...every month....every day, just keeps getting better and better with her.

We've been through some "stuff" in those 31 years that has made our love and resolve stronger. 

It's easy to throw in the towel when things get tough, but we are TEAM PETERSON!

AUGUST - 
THE Eclipse!  What a cool thing to witness.  People from all over the country picked up special "glasses" to wear, found what time would be best and went and positioned themselves for this historic event.  

We were blessed to be right in the path.  Some had to travel great distances to see this.  It was truly amazing!

But the MOST AMAZING news of August....ONE YEAR CANCER FREE!

SEPTEMBER - 
"It's the most wonderful time of the year..."  NOPE, not the Holidays, but the start of the Football Season!

We are HUGE Nebraska Cornhusker fans, and even though the season didn't pan out too well for us, hopefully moving forward with a new coach and coaching staff, the Huskers will get back to competing for Conference Titles.

We took a trip to Eugene, Oregon to see the Huskers play the Ducks and also stay with a good friend, who is a HUGE Oregon Duck fan.  The game didn't turn out in Nebraska's favor, but it was fun still the same.

Also, our oldest son, Josh, turned 29!  How did that happen?

OCTOBER - 
I ran marathon number 2 for the year (and number 9 overall) at the Nebraska Marathon.  

NOVEMBER - 
The CHEERLEADER and I took another trip to Mexico, this time with my oldest sister and her husband.  We rented a casita that had an ocean view in a community call San Pancho.

We had a great time while we were there.

I also found out that I will represent St. Jude Children's Research Hospital, as a St. Jude Hero for the upcoming (April of 2018) Boston Marathon!  I'm so excited to run this iconic marathon.  Truly a "Live List" event for me!

I turned 52.  How did THAT happen?

DECEMBER - 
Christmas decorations.

Purchasing gifts.

Dealing with life's interruptions.

Being grateful.

Christmas with the family.

Here we are....December 31st.  Man did the time fly by this year.

Transitions, planning, keeping warm, training.....life doesn't stop just because we come to the end of a time period.

So much to be grateful for.  Even in the midst of hurt and heartache, the decision to have a BEST YEAR YET is that....your decision....your choice.

So as we say good-bye to 2017, let us all make a decision that 2018 will be our BEST YEAR YET!

No comments:

Post a Comment