Friday, December 8, 2017

BATTLE CRY





bat·tle cry
ˈbadl ˌkrī/
  1. a word or phrase shouted by soldiers going into battle to express solidarity and intimidate the enemy

MOTIVATION.

What motivates you to keep going on through your life?

What keeps you going through your BEST YEAR YET, when it looks like anything but a BEST YEAR YET?

As I was thinking about MOTIVATION and today's post, the only thing I kept thinking about was, "REMEMBER THE ALAMO!" (I almost titled today's post that!)

I didn't want to confuse anyone, because I wasn't planning on talking about the Alamo Mission in San Antonio, Texas, but what that phrase represents.

The actual battle at the Alamo was lost.  Everyone there was killed.  It was at the next battle that this BATTLE CRY was used as motivation for the Texian Army as they battled and won the Battle of San Jacinto, ending the revolution.

Is there a saying.....a picture....an object....SOMETHING....that you focus on to keep going, when the going gets tough?

I have a pair of blue miniature boxing gloves hanging from the rearview mirror in my car.  A couple of weeks ago, one of my son's, who lives in Chicago, asked me about it as we were together.  I told him that I got them when I was going through my battle with prostate cancer and they served as a reminder to me to KEEP FIGHTING!

I love the quote that says, "If your dreams/goals don't scare you, then they're too small."  

Earlier tonight I shared that with some people as I told them about my goals as I prepare to run the Boston Marathon.

As I told them, I was thinking about my personal BATTLE CRY.  

I was thinking, "what keeps me motivated to go through 18 weeks of training, to run 26 point 2 miles...on purpose?"

FOR THE PATIENT FAMILIES!

YOU GOT THIS!

CANCER IS TOUGH...IT IS HARD.  WHAT YOU ARE GOING THROUGH IS AN INCONVENIENCE.  

KEEP PERSPECTIVE.

There are so many things I tell myself as I train and push myself to be ready to toe the line on April 16 at the starting line in Hopkinton, Massachusetts.  

Whether you are running for something greater than yourself, or you have another type of goal, keep a visual....a saying....some type of BATTLE CRY in front of you so that you don't easily give up and quit.

YOU.GOT.THIS!  It's not necessarily going to be easy....BUT it will be worth it!

FIGHT ON!



No comments:

Post a Comment