Thursday, December 14, 2017

OUT ON A LIMB



RISK.

About 15 years ago, while flying back from a trip, I picked up the airline in-flight magazine.

I was flipping through it and an advertisement caught my eye.  

It was winter time and the ad was for a ski resort in Colorado.

RISK v. REWARD.

The ad appealed to the competitor in us.

It was a "not so subtle" statement that made you think, "Can I do that?  I CAN DO THAT! I'm going to do that!  BOOK MY TICKET!"

The visual was of someone skiing down a steep, mogul infested, slope.  Something that you would see in the Olympics.

The caption read, "Go out on a limb....THAT is where the fruit is!"

RISK.

What are you willing to RISK?

The definition of RISK is "a situation revolving exposer to danger."

How you define DANGER will be how much RISK you are willing to take.

I was talking to a friend today who was thinking about his goals for the upcoming year.

He said, "What am I willing to RISK?  I know in order to grow more, I need to RISK more."

Maybe that tells the story of where you are at today.  Thinking about your GOALS for 2018 but not knowing how much to go after.  

Anyone can talk a BIG goal game, but what are you willing to expose yourself to in order to achieve your targets?

NO ONE EVER MADE A DIFFERENCE BY BEING LIKE EVERYONE ELSE!

When consulting with Executives, I would say to them, "Don't set the bar SO high that you cannot reach it.  But also, don't set it so low you can step over it.  What can you do that you will have to WORK for?  That you will have to STRETCH after?"

Remember, the FRUIT is not near the "trunk" where there is safety. 

NO.

It is way OUT ON THE LIMB, where it is flimsy, not real sturdy, but the REWARD of the FRUIT is worth it.

What will you choose?  The trunk or the limb?




No comments:

Post a Comment