Tuesday, December 26, 2017

FOR THOSE WHO CAN'T

"For those who can't."
(Top Left: 2014 Nashville Country Music Marathon; Bottom Left: 2015 New York City Marathon:
Top Right: 2016 Chicago Marathon; Bottom Right: 2016 Memphis Marathon)



Since 2014, I have run 4 marathons as a St. Jude Hero raising money and awareness for ST. JUDE CHILDREN'S RESEARCH HOSPITAL.

I'm currently training to run the 122nd Boston Marathon, once again as a St. Jude Hero. 

I have been pulling many of my miles on my treadmill.  

If you are new to the BEST YEAR YET blog, I'm not a fan of running long miles on my treadmill, but I've got a bit wiser in the past few years when it comes to running in extreme cold weather: I don't do it!

Recently, while running my long miles, I have been occupying my time by watching BOSTON - THE DOCUMENTARY which chronicles the iconic BOSTON MARATHON from its humble beginning in 1897 with 15 runners to current day.

There are many inspiring stories, but one that has really grabbed my attention as I have watched this a few times, is that of Stylianos Kyriakides from Greece.

Kyriakides ran his first Boston in 1938, after being invited by John A. Kelley (at the time the defending Champion of the Boston Marathon and would go on to win 1 more and be the runner up 7 times), following the 1936 Berlin Olympics.

Due to WWll, Kyriakides wouldn't make it to Boston until 1946.  At the time, the people of Greece were left destitute by the war faced starvation.

As he left for Boston in 1946, Kyriakides told his family and friends that he would win the Boston Marathon or die trying.  This echoed the Greek adage, "with this or on this," which in Greek legend was what would be said to those going to war to return victorious from battle either carrying their shield or being carried upon it. 

It was said that the runners of the 1946 Boston Marathon were running to win, but Kyriakides was running to save his country.

He knew a win would provide a platform to raise much needed food, medical supplies and other resources so that his country could survive.

As he crossed the finish line, it has been said that he said, "For Greece!"

Now, I'm no Stylianos Kyrakides, and the fate of a whole country doesn't rest on my performance in Boston on April 16, 2018.  

BUT.....there are children who are fighting for their lives right now at St. Jude. 

The mission of St. Jude is "Finding Cures.  Saving Children" and they have been doing that since 1962.  Founder Danny Thomas didn't want those who needed the treatment to be kept away due to cost, so from the time St. Jude opened their doors, no family has paid for the treatment of their child.

FOR THOSE WHO CAN'T!

So I make people aware and give all of us an opportunity to give to this GREAT cause.

As we come to the end of 2017, would you consider donating to St. Jude Children's Research Hospital through my efforts as a St. Jude Hero for the 2018 Boston Marathon?

It takes over $2 million dollars a day to operate St. Jude.

Any amount would be greatly appreciated.  To donate, go to:


Thank you for your consideration and let's all do what we can to MAKE 2018 the BEST YEAR YET for ourselves and others!


"For Greece!"
Stylianos Kyriakides crossing the Finish Line to win the 1946 Boston Marathon









No comments:

Post a Comment