Monday, December 4, 2017

RESOLUTION TO SOLUTION



4 weeks from today is January 1, 2018.

WHAT?

Yep....we are in Week 49 of 2017.

Do you remember when we started this year?

All the promise that was in front of us?

Somewhere, along the journey, many did a virtual "Bugs Bunny" and "..made a wrong turn at Albuquerque."

So what do we do now?  Let me tell you....ALL IS NOT LOST!

OK, so you missed some goals.  Don't let that define you moving forward.

A couple of months ago, I wrote about a friend of mine who had one of those birthday's when you leave one decade and enter another.  They told me that it was a tough day primarily because the weren't able to hit all of their goals they laid out for themselves before they hit that birthday number.

I asked them, "of all the goals that you had, how many did you miss out on?"  I was expecting to hear, "all of them," or "I had 4 goals and only hit 1."  But they told me that they miss out on only 1 goal.  Did you read that, they only MISSED 1 goal!

Not to take it lightly, they told me what it was...and I was able to share with them and encourage them to not let a DATE determine if that goal is hit or not.  Yes, we want to set a "finish line" so that we can check progress, BUT....as I told them...."the ONLY way that goal will not be met in your life is if you quit pursing it!"

Now, take what we talked about yesterday and go through the LOOK BACK exercise:

Since the beginning of 2017, when it came to the things you wanted to accomplish, LOOK BACK ask yourself :
  • What went right?
  • What didn't go so right (what went wrong)?
  • What did I learn?
Now that you have those things, let's move forward.  Here are a few quick steps:
  • First,  BE DETERMINED to set achievable goals
    • By achievable, I mean anything that you have a 50/50 chance of hitting
  • DON'T have a list of 20 things....keep it manageable at 4 to 5
    • These would be the goals that when you come to the end of the year, you look back and say, "because I accomplished, "X", I had a FANTASTIC year
  • Focus YOUR actions on what you can control
    • You control if you work out; eat out; what you eat; how you spend; how much you read; etc
  • Have check in points along the journey
    • In order to not get frustrated on February 1st, because you haven't been to the gym in 2 weeks, have a check point 4 weeks out.  Once you have your REALISTIC/ACHIEVABLE GOALS set, think about what would be a "WIN" in 4 weeks?  Go to the gym 3 times a week? Read 2 books?  Turn off QVC?  Look for specific things that you can control that will get you down the road to your goal.
    • Before I began running marathons, I always had a 12 week plan and goal.  Marathon training is an 18 week process for me, so now I have mini check points about every 4-6 weeks to see if I need to make adjustments to the plan, so that I can hit the goal.
  • START!

It's not about setting artificial "resolutions," it's about finding a solution and going after it!

My encouragement to you is to not wait out the next 4 weeks, but go ahead and get started NOW.....BUT first make sure that you have a plan in place.  More goals are hit than not when you have a plan that you can execute!

I shared with someone recently the saying, "IF you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

ONLY you can change that pattern.

YOU.GOT.THIS.

If you need someone to look at your goals and the plan, send me an email to:
pete3jn2@gmail.com and I would be glad to reply to you.





No comments:

Post a Comment