Friday, August 25, 2017

TAKE A BREATH



So, the CHEERLEADER and I were out tonight after work.

There were, at the table next to us, 3 people.  A couple and a "3rd wheel on a two wheeled bike."

You know the type.

The "3rd Wheel" was dominating the conversation.

TAKE A BREATH!

Have you ever heard the saying, "God gave us two ears and one mouth?"  

There's a reason for that.

So much can be learned by listening.

If we were to stop and let others talk, we could learn something.

That is how I learn.  I am an audio/visual learner.  I do best when I can hear it and see it demonstrated.  Oh, I ask questions, but then I close my mouth and listen.

It used to not be like that when I was growing up.

I believe I shared it here (my Mom, who I know is reading this, can confirm this) that when I was in elementary school, I would get the writing on my report card, "Tim is a joy to have in class, he just needs to do a better job of listening."  WHY?  BECAUSE I WAS SO BUSY TALKING!

If we would get quiet, think of all that we would hear.  Think of all that we would learn. 

I've learned this in the 31 years - 1 month  - and 14 days the CHEERLEADER and I have been married.

TAKE A BREATH.

When talking to your spouse, don't let it be just a monologue.  Have a dialogue.

Having a dialogue means conversation going both ways.

Talk and listen.  Listen and talk.

So as you are continuing on your BEST YEAR YET journey, don't be like "Mr. 3rd Wheel." Take time to listen.  It is in the listening that you will grow!



No comments:

Post a Comment