Monday, May 1, 2017

RACE WEEK



IT'S RACE WEEK!

So much goes through my head during this week, like; did I train enough....am I truly ready....what am I going to wear...I can't forget the "GLIDE"...and on it goes.

In all honesty, except for the list I make, and check multiple times for the items I cannot forget (especially if I'll be sleeping away from home before the race), I enjoy this week.

Race Week is.....TAPER WEEK!

My miles begin to be shorter.  

I look to adjust my food intake.

I hydrate even more.

I.REALLY.LIKE.TAPER.WEEK!

I know many half and full marathon runners who CAN'T STAND TAPER WEEK!  

Not me.  I embrace it.

I've been pounding the miles for 17 weeks.  Doing all types of running workouts; cross training workouts; etc.  I enjoy the break!

I'm trying something new....COFFEE TAPER!  ("wait, I sense a disturbance in the FORCE...").  I'm going see if cutting out coffee for the next 5 days and then drinking my normal 2 cups before a race has any positive effects.  I'll report back after the race!

Here's a good TAPER reminder:


Similar to life, isn't it?  

  • What are you using as your "life's guide" in your "training?"  It's so important what and who we listen to; read; watch; etc.; when it comes to the "trusting" part of our life
  • You maybe have heard, "garbage in - garbage out."  The opposite is true; GOOD in - GOOD out!  What are you "feeding" on?  This goes right in line with who/what are you trusting
  • What are your life goals?  When you've lived out your life, what will be said of you?  How did you live your life in front of others (and also away from others)?  If you don't have any LIFE GOALS, I want to encourage you to start to think about ONE you can have and go after beginning today.
  • Do you have times that you get away with your loved ones and just enjoy each others company apart from work, your phone or other devices?  Your work will be there...but your kids will grow up and leave the house (or at least they should...it's the natural progression of life).  Make memories with them!
  • Do you take time to rest?  In the TAPER, this is a key to being able to perform your best when it is RACE TIME.  In life, we need REST so that we can be our best in all areas of our life.  Take the vacation!  Even if it is a "staycation"...TAKE time away to rest, relax and recover!
So in the RACE WEEK of your BEST YEAR YET life...EMBRACE THE TAPER!

FINAL NOTE:

This is a special RACE WEEK for me in my BEST YEAR YET 3.0.  I'll talk more about it as the week progresses, but let me say, with only doing 2 marathons this year, I'm approaching each one of these in a very special way.

Last year, running the Lincoln Marathon on May 1st, was the beginning of an 11 day journey that would have a significant impact on me....and hopefully to many that I come in contact with.

More to come.....






No comments:

Post a Comment