Sunday, May 7, 2017

WHAT A DAY


This is the RESULT.  

This wasn't the GOAL.

The GOAL was to go under 5 hours.  

I have learned, in the 8 full marathons that I have run, that each of them are unique in their own way.  Today was no different.

I had really good training leading up to this, the LINCOLN MARATHON, even though I had some calf issues 10 days out.  That was all resolved by PICKLE JUICE (see Friday, 5/5, post)...but the heat was a factor today.  I'm not making excuses, I'm just letting you know that each marathon that I have entered has its challenges.

BUT....I had a GREAT day.  I lost count on how many kids I "Hi-5d" during the race.  I stopped at around mile 4 when some ladies wanted to take a group picture and they were trying to go the "selfie" route, but that wasn't happening.  So I asked if they wanted me to take it...the said yes and I was more than happy to help.  I also spent a lot of time thanking the men and women in BLUE from the Lincoln Police Department who held back traffic as my slow self crossed many intersections with heavy activity.  

In our lives we have goals, but I think we'd do well to have a Plan B, Plan C and so on, GOALS as well.  When I knew that the 5 hour mark was out, I just focused on keeping my pace, as good as possible, and to just be THANKFUL that I was out there AGAIN, running another FULL MARATHON!  

The other things I did today weren't necessarily for me...but for those I came in contact with.  At one of the last water stops around Mile 25, these 2 young kids, maybe 5 and 7....Jake and Cameron, both offered and gave me, one water the other Gatorade.  I stopped, asked their names..told them mine...shook their hands and thanked them for staying SO LONG to give me a drink.  They both smiled...as well as their parents who were near by.

To me...THAT was my PR (personal record) for the day.  

What can YOU do, each day, to bring a smile to someone's face.  Do your best to not get so wound tight that you lose sight of the opportunity to lift someone else up....even if it means you might not hit your goal!  THAT is what having a BEST YEAR YET is all about!


FINAL NOTE:  Here are some pics from my Marathon Weekend.


Saturday, The Cheerleader and I had a chance to meet Dave McGillivray, Race Director for the Boston Marathon.  Dave spoke at the Expo and gave a GREAT talk about Defining Moments.  He's had a few!


The Cheerleader took this at about 6:45am as I was getting ready to head to the starting area.  My "running kit" (race clothes) was ON POINT today...if I can humbly say!


Running up to Mile 12 I heard the distinguishing sound of the Cheerleader's MONSTER Cowbell.  Took some time to kiss her and take a quick pic!


Mile 22...PICKLE JUICE!  At Mile 12 I asked the Cheerleader to see about getting me some PICKLE JUICE for the back half of the race. The temperature soared to around 82 degrees at the end of my 5 plus hour journey.  I knew it would be good to have a few swallows...straight from the jar!


This must be "moving/running" time as the official time was 5:22:44




ALWAYS....FOR THE MEDAL!  What a GREAT day it was!



No comments:

Post a Comment