Friday, May 12, 2017

REACTION..PART 1

The past couple of days, I've been talking about the events of a year ago and finding out that I had been diagnosed with prostate cancer.

I was prepared, as much as I could be, when I met with my urologist on May 11, 2016...the day he told me the diagnosis.  The night before, as I mentioned a couple of days ago, I sensed in my heart to "not be moved by what you hear tomorrow, be it good or bad."

I have done my best to live by the idea that "MY response is MY responsibility" (you've read that a time or two the past few months).  So, I knew going in to the appointment, that I would need to be VERY secure in my belief system and NOT BE MOVED!

Over the next couple of days, I want to let you in on my reaction and the reaction of my wife and sons. 

Why?  

I believe that as a leader....as a husband and father (you could be a daughter and a wife), how we demonstrate SUCCESS and SET BACKS to those around us, tell a great deal about us.  

I'm not here to "humble brag" on myself (as you will see), but if we truly want to live our BEST YEAR YET, we are going to be challenged...and it is how we react to those challenges that will determine our VICTORY!

The Cheerleader was out of town on business the day I went in to get the results.  She made me promise her to let her know right away what the results were.

So the doctor told me that he did a 12 area cross section of my prostate and the results showed cancer in 3 out of the 12 sections.  I sat without any expression and listened.  In my mind I was thinking, "Ok..this sucks, but what's next?  What is the plan of attack?"  

I'm a "GOAL SETTER."  I like to have a plan and then go out and implement the actions necessary to hit the GOAL.

I'm guessing that the doctor took my silence for shock as he said to me, "Hey, it's ok.  I just didn't give you a death sentence.  You will be fine."  I looked him square in the eyes and said, "I understand what you just told me.  WHAT'S NEXT?"

He told me of the different treatment options and then gave me a couple of books and other literature to read.  He said that we should get back together in a couple of weeks, after the Cheerleader was back home and when we had a chance to look over the options.  At that appointment we would decide how to proceed.

NOW is when the real challenges began.  I was alone with my thoughts.  I had to keep my mind quiet and my spirit strong. 

It is so good to have a support system.  A Cheerleader...or cheerleaders.  We all need them...and we all need to be them for others.

This challenge hasn't kept me from being an encourager to others...maybe slowed up a bit initially....but never gone.  

I called the Cheerleader and told her right away.  I went home and conferenced called 2 of my 3 sons and the 3rd was at home with me, to let them the outcome.  It was in the days that followed where I told...my parents....talked to some of my siblings...Pastor....co-workers.

I'll tell you about other's reactions tomorrow.  

As for today, what is one thing that you are GRATEFUL for?  Who is one person you are GRATEFUL for.  Let me know WHAT you are GRATEFUL.  Then, the one person you are GRATEFUL for, send them a note, or give them a call and let them know!

Me, I'm GRATEFUL for my HEALTH.....I'm GRATEFUL for my FAMILY.

BEST YEAR YET!   SEE YOU TOMORROW!





No comments:

Post a Comment