Wednesday, May 31, 2017

HALFTIME


Earlier this year, the CHEERLEADER and I took at trip.  Got off the "grid."

I had 2 objectives:
  • Sit in a lounge chair and look at the Ocean
  • Read some books
I was able to accomplish both!

One book I had been meaning to read for quite some time, is a book called HALFTIME by Bob Buford (I've referenced it here a few times).

I actually picked this book up 20 years ago.  You want to know how I know that?  The receipt was still in the book.  I must have just placed it in the pages when I got it.

At 31 years old (when I got the book), I didn't feel I was anywhere near HALFTIME.  I had heard about this book and had an opportunity to get it for free from a local bookstore, so I took advantage of the offer.  

But HALFTIME?  I was still trying to figure out the first half that  I was in....and getting pretty beat up in the process of LIFE!

The "kicker line" or subtitle said, "Changing Your Game Plan for Success to Significance."  I love game planning; strategy; trying to out think the opponent.  As I got into the book, I realized that I WAS THE OPPONENT in MY story.

Many of my BEST YEAR YET posts during that vacation and after, were influence by this idea of MOVING FROM SUCCESS TO SIGNIFICANCE.

How could I make a BIGGER impact on not only my life, but those that I have influence with, as I journey through the 2nd Half?  

What do I have to offer that other's can benefit from?  Here are a few things that I and the CHEERLEADER have LIVED that can help guide others to be the HERO of THEIR story:
  • MARRIAGE
    • We have been married for 30 years - 10 months - & 20 days...and we have been through many things and have come out on the other side.  
    • We have a heart for STRONG marriages and have W-O-R-K-E-D at it to have it be strong
  • ENCOURAGEMENT/INSPIRATION
    • Romans 12:8, in the Bible (New Living Translation) says, "If your gift is to encourage others, be encouraging."
    • I have seen, over the years, this "gift" increase in my life.  I didn't look for it; didn't plan for it; did't try to make it happen; it just did.
    • I have seen many things that can help guide someone through good times and not so good times
      • Successful Marriage (as stated above)
      • Grit/Determination in losing weight and running marathons
        • It's not about the running, but about the drive, determination and dedication it takes to go after something that is greater than you
      • Prostate Cancer Thrivivor
  • LIFE COACH
    • All things in life (faith; family; fitness; business (practical) management)...I've been there and through my mentors, have come out with some time tested actions to help others
These are just a sampling of the things I'm going to focus on in my 2nd Half!

What about you?  Are you the "HALFTIME" of your life?  Maybe approaching HALFTIME or you could already be in the 2nd Half.  My encouragement to you, today, is to look at your life and see what impact of significance YOU can make as you continue to journey through your BEST YEAR YET!



No comments:

Post a Comment