Thursday, May 25, 2017

4 JESSICA



If you know me, or if you have been reading my everyday musings in this BEST YEAR YET blog, you know that I like to run.  Run marathons.

In 2016, I set a goal to run 4 full marathons.  The first was in Fort Smith, Arkansas on Valentine's Day.  After that, my next was the Lincoln National Guard Marathon & Half Marathon on May, 1, 2016.  Leading up to Lincoln, I secured a spot to run the Bank of America Chicago Marathon in October, running for St. Jude Children's Research Hospital as a St. Jude Hero.

Chicago would be the 3rd time I had run as as "HERO" for St. Jude.  What does that mean?  It means that I do my best to let others know of the GREAT work that St. Jude's does to help children and their families when battling life threatening diseases, usually cancer.  After the first time running for St. Jude in April of 2014, I realized who the real HEROES were....the children who were unbelievable WARRIORS and their awesome family supporting them.

I'm no hero....I'm just a guy who decided to run for a cause that was greater than myself and get others to help the cause, financially.

Well, leading up to the Lincoln Marathon in May of 2016, one of my high school classmates made a GREAT donation to St. Jude's and my running the Chicago Marathon (Lincoln was not set up as a "charity race" for St. Jude, but I was raising money and awareness at that same time for the Chicago Marathon).  Later that day, she sent me an Instant Message and told me about her niece, Jessica, who was battling Osteosarcoma.  My friend asked me if I could write Jessica's name on my Lincoln race bib, because it was in her honor that she donated.

WOW....I was humbled and honored to do this (see the pic above) for their family. So I wrote, #4JESSICA, on my race bib.

Of the 8 marathons I had run, this was one of THE most painful ones.  I knew, at the 13 mile point, that this was going to be tough due to knee pain that I was experiencing.  I kept going. I would think about the kids and families that were battling at St. Jude's......I would think about Jessica and her name I was carrying on my bib.  When I would think of others, I would realize that the temporary pain I was going through was NOTHING compared to the heroic fight they go through everyday.

I don't like cancer.  

I'll take it deeper and say, I HATE CANCER.

I have had loves ones pass away from it and have personally been affected by it this past year.

The late, great, Stuart Scott, from ESPN fame said this in a speech he gave at the ESPY Awards shortly before he passed away:
"When you die, it does not mean that you lose to cancer.  You beat cancer by how you live, why you live, and in the manner in which you live.  So live.  LIVE!  Fight like hell, and when you get too tired to fight, then lay down and rest and let somebody else fight for you."

2 days ago, on May 23rd, Jessica, age 15, was too tired and she finished her fight. 

LIFE happens.  Even in our BEST YEAR YET.  Sometimes we can't escape it.  But every time we can take it on with everything we have.

No doubt, Jessica took it on like a WARRIOR PRINCESS.

Embrace and enjoy your rest.  We'll continue to FIGHT FOR YOU!


FINAL NOTE:
Per the family, Memorials for Jessica Hinz are suggested to St. Jude’s Children’s Hospital or Tiny Hands International, P.O. Box 67195 Lincoln, NE 68506.




No comments:

Post a Comment