Friday, May 5, 2017

PICKLE JUICE


A few years ago, when training for a marathon, I was having breakfast with some friends, talking about the perils of my training and the recent calf muscle issues I was experiencing.

"PICKLE JUICE." 

That's all one of my friends said.  "Pickle Juice?" I replied back to him.  He went on to tell me about how as a college football player, they would have jars of pickle juice available for the players....especially during the first part of the season when it was hot.

Turns out that when you are exercising hard, exercising for over an hour or exercising in hot weather, pickle juice can help replace the lost sodium and potassium that you have just sweated out  It works more quickly then water...AND it reduces the cramping in your muscles from dehydration.

So I went on to use this "magic" elixir and you know what?  IT WORKED!

So from that time on, I would drink about 2 oz. of PICKLE JUICE before a run..and sometimes after a run as well.  That is until.......well, I honestly don't remember the last time I had pickle juice. 

Let's back up real quick:  Last Thursday, April 27th, I was heading out for a nice 5 miler....it's taper time and I was getting in this run before watching the NFL draft with my son, who just got home from college for the Summer.  I took off and about a mile into my run, I felt a tightness in my right calf.  I pushed through....but should have turned around and when home.  I ended up going a little over 2 miles and I was in BIG TIME pain.  10 DAYS OUT FROM MY MARATHON!!

For the past week, I have been "rolling" my calves out, applying ice, loading up on electrolyte drinks, using my CEP compression calf sleeves....hoping I'd be ready for this Sunday's Lincoln Marathon. 

I felt as if I turned the corner the last couple of days..but THEN I remembered PICKLE JUICE! 

Why do we neglect the preventative maintenance actions that CAN and WILL help us?

How often do we do that in our daily lives?  Whether it's taking care of the oil in our lawn mower; or cleaning the dirt off of our golf clubs after each round; or going to get our annual physical.  Always using the excuse that we are too "busy." 

A couple of days ago I talked about "CHECKLISTS."  Systems to use in our life so that we DON'T FORGET what's important.

Don't neglect and/or forget the most IMPORTANT things in your life.  Keep them front and center.  Maybe even write it on a check list!

What is the "PICKLE JUICE" in your life?

Think about it and drop me a line and let me know.


FINAL NOTE:  If you want to know more about the positive effects of this wonder liquid, Click this link, PICKLE JUICE, to read more about it.






1 comment:

  1. After reading your article you must know what I have written here what is rhinoplasty procedure .This one is being written after getting inspiration from you.

    ReplyDelete