Sunday, May 28, 2017

BENCH SEATS



The CHEERLEADER and I were talking earlier about a young couple we know that haven't been married very long....and struggling.

The first years can be challenging.  Bringing together of two separate lives into one is not always easy.  

I said they "CAN be challenging," it's not a given that they WILL be challenging.

We were talking about this subject as we were driving home.  In front of us was a pickup truck and 2 people in the truck.  I said to the CHEERLEADER, "I wish sometimes we had a BENCH SEAT in our car so you could sit next to me!"

We started talking about COMMITMENT and how that for some, at the first sight or sign of trouble or difficulty, they are gone!

COMMITMENT says, "I'm going to fight for this!"

I remember 8 years ago when I was tired of being tired all the time.  I made a COMMITMENT to get healthy.  I had to change so many things about my nutrition and exercise.....like eat healthy and start to exercise!  I know it sounds simple, but the execution wasn't as easy.

Anytime you want to change....lasting change (health; relationships; habits; etc)...you go through different steps:

  • DISCIPLINE
    • This is where you ask yourself, "How bad do I want this?"
    • What are you willing to do in order to get to where you want to go?
      • Counseling for your relationship?
      • Nutritionist and/or personal trainer for your health?
    • You will be challenged at this point.  
    • This is the beginning where 
      • your muscles hurt; 
      • your hungry all the time; 
      • you get in more "intense moments of fellowship" with your spouse
    • This is NOT the time to give up and quit....STAY IN THERE!
  • HABIT
    • The discipline you have (for more than a day, or week or even one month) will eventually become a HABIT.  
    • HABITS are formed when you do or repeat an action enough times that you get to the point that you can't or don't want to live without it.  This is true for bad habits as well as good habits.  Let's stick with the GOOD HABITS!
  • LIFESTYLE
    • DISCIPLINES turn into HABITS which, when done consistently over time, become a LIFESTYLE.
      • You don't want to "diet" just because "swimsuit season" is around the corner.  
      • You want a LIFESTYLE change, that will last, well, a LIFETIME!
    • Same is true for your relationships
      • Lasting change is what you are looking for!

What change, if any, do you want to make in your life?

Your DISCIPLINE will give way to good HABITS which will lead to a LIFESTYLE of good things.  It won't just happen.  It will take INTENTIONALITY or we could say, W-O-R-K!

The WORK is worth it!

BENCH SEATS....bucket seats.....either way, I'm going to continually W-O-R-K on my part, because my response is my responsibility.

Now....to go and find a pickup truck...with a bench seat!


No comments:

Post a Comment