Friday, July 14, 2017

IT'S NOT ABOUT ME



CONFESSION TIME:  I'M SELFISH.

Sometimes I feel like JOHNNY BRAVO.  I saw the t-shirt in the pic above about 12ish years ago while on a trip to Atlanta.  We did a studio tour of CNN/Turner Broadcasting and in their gift shop was this t-shirt of JOHNNY BRAVO saying, "Enough about you, let's talk about me."

LONG TERM GOAL:  I don't want it to be just about me.

IT'S NOT ABOUT ME.

IT'S NOT ABOUT YOU.

The "IT'S" is our life.

Psalms 71:7 [NLT] says, "My life is an example to many, because You have been my strength and protection."  Notice, it was/is because the Lord had been his (David, who wrote this Psalm) strength and protection, his life was an example to many.

IT'S NOT ABOUT YOU.

IT'S NOT ABOUT ME.

When I married, if found out that my life was not my own.

When the CHEERLEADER and I had our children, we realized that our lives were not our own.

As I grow older and (hopefully) wiser, the SIGNIFICANCE that I intend to make has very little to do with me, but it has A WHOLE LOT to do with the impact it makes on others.

WHY?

Because I have decided that IT'S NOT ABOUT (just) ME!

Do I hit that mark all the time?  NO....but I am working on it to get more SELFLESS, everyday.


WEEKEND CHALLENGE:
Do something for someone who CANNOT repay you.  

The Apostle Paul said in 1 Corinthians 13:13, "Three things will last forever - faith, hope, and love - and the greatest of these is love." 

START with the action of LOVE, without the expectation of anything in return. 
Here are a few ideas to help you get started:

  • Cook a meal for someone who's sick
  • Mow your neighbor's yard
  • Look to buy someone's meal at a restaurant (without them knowing it)
  • Go serve at a homeless shelter
  • Pick up the trash in your neighborhood
  • Go buy a case of cold water and find a construction crew and give it to them
Let's see if we can get some good ideas going.  Whatever social platform you are reading this from, share this and CHALLENGE others.  Also, share your ideas for what you will do.

MAKE it a great weekend in your BEST YEAR YET!



No comments:

Post a Comment