Sunday, July 23, 2017

FOREVER BEARCATS



KEARNEY (Nebraska) HIGH SCHOOL BEARCATS....CLASS OF '84!

33 years ago about 280 of us walked the stage at Harmon Park.  Diploma in hand (really, it was just the cover....had to turn in the grad gown in exchange for the "paper!").  

So much promise ahead of us.

The CHEERLEADER and I walked that stage on the same day!  High School Sweethearts!



10 years went by.  Reunion time.  Some classmates were with new additions to our "group." Some with families.  Many still single.  Some classmates no longer with us.

So much promise ahead of us.

20 years went by.  Reunion time.  The crowd got smaller. By now, the hair is thinning, our "shapes" are changing, our jobs have changed multiple times.  "How are the kids? The job? Who's the new love of your life?  Cancer, wow...we'll be praying for you."  Some more classmates are no longer with us.

So much promise ahead of us.

30 years went by.  Reunion time.  The crowd is not as big as the last time.  The talk of kids; for some Grandkids; "Following you on Facebook...you look great!" "Wow, your kids are doing great."  "How the job?"  Some have been married for a quite a while.  Some were married and now single. Some, forever single.  Some more, no longer with us.

When you are now in your late 40's...you don't have anyone to impress with your job; your home; your status; the realization is that 30 years ago, we all walked the stage at Harmon Park and some of us had been together for the 12/13 years leading up to that point (me, just 8 as my family moved to Kearney as I was starting 5th grade....Northeast Elem!)

So much promise ahead of us.

Today, I heard some sad news about a fellow KHS Class of '84 classmate who is no longer with us.  Something happened a few weeks ago that "they" are still trying to find out on the "how."

She was one of the first I met when I moved to Kearney as we were neighbors and went to Northeast Elementary ~ Kearney Junior High School ~ and Kearney High School together. I wouldn't classify her as a close friend, but in recent years, we reconnected via Facebook...like many of us have.

This news got me thinking about what happens when tragedy hits your BEST YEAR YET. What will our response be?

For me, I'm reminded of how fragile life is...how I need to be more intentional with my relationships...I need to be the one to make the effort.  

MY RESPONSE IS MY RESPONSIBILITY.

So, for me, I'm going to hug my wife a bit tighter and not let go.  I'm going to reach out to others for some connection...maybe a cup of coffee or two.  

If you want to reach me, you find me here each day in this BEST YEAR YET blog.  You'll see me on some social platforms.  Reach out....let's connect.

SO MUCH PROMISE AHEAD OF US.

RIP Miss Cindy.


No comments:

Post a Comment