Friday, November 3, 2017

DETERMINATION


de·ter·mi·na·tion
dəˌtərməˈnāSH(ə)n/
      -  firmness of purpose; resoluteness.

DETERMINATION.

I was talking to a friend who works out hard to enter physique competitions.

He was telling me about the training cycle of lifting heavy, gaining weight, and then slowly taking the weight off for the competition.

He had an injury last last year that has kept him from being able to work out like he likes to.

That is when the conversation turned to having a focus on something that is a target that you are going after.

He said he needs that to stay focused.

I said that I need that to stay focused.

I like to run.  

That is why I have something that I'm planning....I'm looking forward to...so I can keep my focus.

The other day, the CHEERLEADER asked me what were my running plans/goals for 2018.

I loved that she asked me that.  She knows having a target keeps me focused....keeps me motivated.

You know what I found out?  The focus I have goes into all areas of my life...not just running.

There's something about the DETERMINATION to hit a goal, that causes me (maybe you too) to be so focused, and all areas of my life benefit from it.

Last year, in 2016, I had committed to running 2 marathons for ST. JUDE CHILDREN'S RESEARCH HOSPITAL as a St. Jude Hero.  That just means that I committed to raise awareness and a certain amount of money for the opportunity to run these marathons.

Both of these (Chicago Marathon and Memphis Marathon) were set to run later in the year. In early May of 2016, I was diagnosed with prostate cancer.  As I have talked about here in the BEST YEAR YET blog, on August 1st, I had surgery to remove the cancer from my body.

DETERMINATION.

Although the Chicago Marathon was just 2 months post surgery, I was DETERMINED to still run that race for a couple of reasons:

  • I wanted to honor my commitment to St. Jude's and all who supported my efforts.
  • I wanted to show cancer that I WIN....no matter how long it took me to run and finish that race.
What is something you are DETERMINED to take on?
  • A new fitness goal
  • A new job
  • A new hobby
  • A new language
  • A new relationship
  • Fixing a current relationship
Whatever it is, have the DETERMINATION...the firmness of purpose, resoluteness...to see it through.

YOU.CAN.DO.THIS!

FINAL NOTE:
I wouldn't have run Chicago if it would have been harmful to my health.  If you are going to take on something that is physical in nature, check with your doctor that you are ok, physically, to do it.

Running Chicago was the most difficult, hardest, yet rewarding task I have ever taken on.  I wasn't going to let a cancer diagnosis dictate to me how I was going to live my life. 
Almost to the finish line!

The fruit of my labor!

No comments:

Post a Comment