Saturday, April 8, 2017

WITNESS HISTORY


43 years ago today.....April 8, 1974....Henry "Hammerin' Hank" Aaron, hit his 715th Home Run to surpass Babe Ruth's record.  Many, if not most, thought that record would never be broken.

This date, and event, has a VERY special meaning to me.  At the time, we were living in Plano, Texas, having moved there the year before, but we came back up to Lincoln, Nebraska for some event for my oldest sister, Cathy, who was a Senior in High School (when we moved to TX, Cathy stayed in Lincoln to finish High School).

Here we are, in Lincoln, on Monday April 8th and I'm at my grandparents, Neal and Nellie Turner's home.  I was hanging out with my Grandpa...or more likely bouncing around his living room when he said, "Pay attention Tim, you are about to witness history."

I turned my attention to the TV where there was a baseball game on.  Sure enough, as if my Grandpa had gone into the future and came back, on the 2nd pitch of that at-bat, Hammerin' Hank sent that ball over the left field fence, at Atlanta's Fulton County Stadium, to break the "UNBREAKABLE" record.  

I'm SO glad my Grandpa had me sit down and witness this.  Over the years, I have told this story to my wife and sons so many times that I think THEY could tell it.  There is more to it than a record being broken.  It's about family; respect for the game; doing life together; and many more things....but probably as important in our lives: We have an opportunity to WITNESS HISTORY any day of our lives.

How we define HISTORY is the question.  To me, it doesn't have to be a record broken or some monumental feat.....it's the first step of your child; the first time your child called out to you; the moment the doctor delivered the news (good or not so good); the excitement of your dog when you get home from work; a cup of coffee on the porch or just hanging out....DOING LIFE!

In your BEST YEAR YET, don't just look for the BIG things that you are striving towards (the birth of a child/grandchild; a wedding; a major marathon; etc), but also keep your eyes open for the "everyday" moments to WITNESS HISTORY!



Final Note:
My Grandpa Neal Turner passed away right after I turned 15, in 1980.  I really looked up to my Grandpa.  He and I spent a lot of time together before we moved to Texas.  It's because of him that Jack Nichlaus is my all-time favorite golfer (and greatest golfer of all time!) and that I have a love and respect for the game.  I have tried, over the years, to keep his legacy alive, with my boys, through stories and such.  A few years back, on one Father's Day, my boys, Josh - Caleb - & Luke, presented the above, HANK AARON, autographed baseball. THEY LISTENED!

4 comments:

  1. There's too many 'history making moments' to count thus far. Am always grateful for these important reminders. I'm listening too....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this story! So much meaning behind that autographed baseball.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes there is! One of my most cherished "things" as it takes me back to Grandpa and forward to MY boys! #leavealegacy

      Delete