Sunday, April 2, 2017

DON'T QUIT



So, here I am, 5 weeks out from my next marathon, the Lincoln Marathon on May 7th. Today, as I do with every weekend, I had a long run on my training schedule: 16 miles. When training for a marathon, over the 18 week training schedule, you build up your miles and I'm at that point where I'm pulling some long miles on the weekend.

I like long runs.  It is great "THINK TIME."  I use to just listen to music, but in this training cycle I have become a HUGE fan of podcasts....mostly running related, but I have mixed in some others as well.  

Today, the outside weather conditions were ideal for my run: overcast; not too windy; low 50s. Inside my head, not so ideal.  I got ready, knowing I had a good 3 hours of running in front of me, I was not feeling it.  At about 2 miles in, I started looking for excuses to quit...to go back home...to go after it another day.  What did I do?

DON'T QUIT!

I kept going.  I was slow; tired; sore.  My breathing was heavy as were my feet striking the pavement. CLOMP...CLOMP...CLOMP....that's what I heard even with my headphones in.

DON'T QUIT!

I knew, that the further away from home I got, the harder it would be...but also, it would mean that I had to eventually make it back home.  

DON'T QUIT!

You know, sometimes in our BEST YEAR YET journey, we want to take the easy way out. We want to "let it slide" for another day.  Is that the best action?  Should we just throw our hands up in the air and say "ENOUGH!"  There are SO many times I want to do that....but is it the right thing to do?

DON'T QUIT!

Hebrew 10:35 (NKJV) says, "Therefore do not cast away your confidence, which has great reward."  I studied that verse out once, a long time ago.  I found out that the phrase, "do not cast away" was a nautical term that meant: "Don't let go of the rudder; hold as if you are attached."  Think about this: you are out in a sail boat, and a massive storm comes up.  In order for you to not capsize, you have to HOLD ON...hold on as if you are attached. It's physically tough to HOLD ON.  Your muscles are being taxed....it would be real easy to just let go and throw your hands in the air....but your boat will capsize and possibly sink.

DON'T QUIT!

Sometimes doing the hard is what is necessary for growth.  It's necessary to get where you want to go.  HOLD ON....DON'T LET GO OF THE RUDDER of you life. HOLD AS IF YOU ARE ATTACHED!

DON'T QUIT!

By the way....I finished my 16 mile run today....very slow....but I didn't quit.  Take a hint from Nike and JUST DO IT!




My 3 things I'm GRATEFUL for today:
  • 1 John 1:9
  • Compression sleeves for my calves
  • Not getting what I deserve (mercy)

No comments:

Post a Comment