Wednesday, April 19, 2017

KEEP IT SIMPLE



I had a conversation the other day with an acquaintance.  He didn't know about my health challenges in 2016, so I did a quick recap for him.

I started by going back to November of 2014, when I turned 49.  I told him about my quest finish off my 40's on a high note with my BEST YEAR YET.  I told him about running the New York City Marathon as my EXCLAMATION POINT to cap off that BEST YEAR YET.

"How do you follow your BEST YEAR YET?"  I asked him.  "By pushing the reset button and having another BEST YEAR YET!" I told him.  Which lead us into running more marathons, a cancer diagnosis, a bacterial infection, hospital stays, surgery, etc.  Things I didn't expect or plan for, but ALL things that helped to shape my "BEST YEAR YET 2.0."  

Which leads us to today, and the current "3.0" version of my BEST YEAR YET!  Today, I was holding on a call and they didn't have hold music, but it was more like an advertisement.  The voice on this recording started off by saying, "Remember when you were a kid?  Things were simple....life was good."

SIMPLE.  


sim·ple
ˈsimpəl/
  1. 1.
    easily understood or done; presenting no difficulty.

As I heard this, I thought about my BEST YEAR YET journey.  Others asked me, during the "BEST YEAR YET 1.0", "what does that look like?"  They asked how I was going to quantify this?  In dealing with GOALS, whether in business or personal, there is a statement that says, "if you can't measure it, then you can't improve it." 

What actions would I do so that I could track or measure my progress?  What are you going to do that will improve your BEST YEAR YET?

Here are 3 things that I use to measure my BEST YEAR YET.  You might want to adopt these 3 actions for yourself as well:

  • SMILE MORE
  • LAUGH MORE
  • GIVE MORE
I figured that if I could do MORE of those three things (SMILE; LAUGH; GIVE), I would truly have a BEST YEAR YET.  Even in the middle of challenges, I could still do these three things.

In the Bible, in Mark 10:14, Jesus said, "...Let the children come to Me.  Don't stop them! For the Kingdom of God belongs to those who are like these children."

"Remember when you were a kid?  Things were simple..."

Look at a stranger; a co-worker; a friend or family member and just SMILE!
Find reasons to LAUGH at life.  Don't take yourself too seriously.
To GIVE is more than putting money in the plate...it does include this, but it's about your life. What you have that others need.  GIVE it away.

Don't make it complex.  KEEP IT SIMPLE!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment