Saturday, March 11, 2017

READY....FOCUS!


"READY....FOCUS!"  When my adult sons were playing youth football, there were times when we, as coaches, would have to make sure that we had the attention of these young boys.  As you can imagine, some would be talking, while others were messing around with each other.  It could be rather frustrating...BUT...they learned, early on, when a coach said, "READY?"  Their reply was to be a loud, "FOCUS!"

What a great lesson that was, that we instilled in these 8-13 year olds.  What a great lesson for ALL of us, even as adults, to follow as well.  How many times do you go throughout your day and you need to keep your FOCUS where it belongs?  

Talking on your phone while driving; texting while driving; having a conversation with your spouse; talking to your children or grandchildren.  Whatever it is, BE PRESENT and FOCUS on what is important at that moment.

Last year, while training for one of my marathons, I went out on a 5 mile run.  I have certain "tracks" or "paths" I like to run at certain distances.  Since I have ran so many of these, I have a pretty good idea where I'm going and on most of these runs, I put in my headphones and off I go....almost on "auto pilot."  Do you have something that you do so much that it's like breathing or blinking your eyes...you really don't think about it?  Well that was me this day.  At about the 2 mile mark..on a route I have run MANY times, I wasn't paying attention and I hit some uneven concrete on a sidewalk and took a nasty fall.  The face of my running watch shattered as I hit it on the ground; I bruised a rib...and my ego all at the same time.....all because I wasn't paying attention.  I wish I would have thought, "READY...FOCUS!" right before that happened.

There are many days where I'll be sitting at my desk...and even now, blogging about my BEST YEAR YET and encouraging you to have the same, where I say, out loud to my self, "READY?"  and I always reply, "FOCUS!"

Last week when talking about living a "BLENDED LIFE," we discussed about "being present" wherever you are; if at work, if at home, if running, at church, or anywhere you are, BE THERE!  Keep your FOCUS where it belongs at all times and you will have your BEST YEAR YET!  

NOW......

READY?  FOCUS!


As an end note:   The lead in picture above...the one person who IS in FOCUS, it's his birthday today!  Happy 26th Caleb Michael Peterson!  If you know him, send him some birthday greetings.  If you don't know him, send him some birthday greetings through my social media platforms!  

That youth football program I mentioned, the Screaming Eagles, was a GREAT shaper of young men in South Omaha, Nebraska for a number of years.  Today, the program still is active, from the Founder, Dave Cisar, but in Firth/Norris, Nebraska.  Dave is a PHENOMENAL Coach of Coaches and besides still coaching, he does Youth Football Clinics all over the country as well as still leading the Screaming Eagle Organization.  If you are a youth football coach and want to learn more, click on the Winning Youth Football link.  Check out Dave's resources and his book by the same name...you might even see someone in there you know!




Here's the birthday boy and me about 14 years ago!  This is my favorite pic of the 2 of us!
Love you Caleb!

No comments:

Post a Comment