Thursday, March 9, 2017

MOONSHOT


"We choose to go to the Moon!"  
President John F. Kennedy, May 25, 1961

MOONSHOT....
What is it?  It's an ambitious, exploratory and ground breaking project.  Here are 3 things it encompasses:

  • Addresses a HUGE problem
  • Proposes a RADICAL solution
  • Uses BREAKTHROUGH technology
 When President Kennedy gave Congress his "Moonshot" speech in 1961, it was 20 days after astronaut Alan Shephard Jr. was the first American to go into space.  They got someone up in a suborbital ride for 15 minutes and then back down.  The President said, "By the end of the decade (we will put a man on the moon)....not because it is easy, but  because it is hard.  The challenge is one we are willing to accept...one we are unwilling to postpone and one we intend to win!"

Recently, the athletic apparel company NIKE, announced their MOONSHOT...their plan to have a man run a sub 2 hour Marathon (26.2 miles).  The world record in the marathon is 2:02:57 set by Dennis Kimetto of Kenya at the 2014 Berlin Marathon.  To shave almost 3 minutes off of that time is a MOONSHOT.  But what NIKE is doing, has all of the 3 elements listed above.  They are currently working in the lab, on the track, with doctors, coaches, technology experts, AND the athletes to see if they can make this happen.

What is your MOONSHOT?  What is that thing in your life that "looks" so impossible...something, in YOUR opinion, is unreachable?  Will it be easy?  NO!  As they say, "if it were easy, everyone would do it."  Everyone's MOONSHOT will be different....but I want to encourage you to expand your thinking about yourself....expand your belief in yourself and go after something that LOOKS impossible...today.

Yesterday, we hit on the idea of "AIM HIGH."  To go after the "high hanging fruit" and not just taking the easy way, all the time.  22-23 years ago I was introduced to the "concept of the rubber band."  To live this concept means to STRETCH yourself, because a rubber band is NOT at its greatest potential UNTIL it's been STRETCHED!  STRETCH yourself for your MOONSHOT.  

I'll tell you my MOONSHOT:

  • I want to run all 6 of the Abbott World Marathon Majors (Tokyo, Boston, London, Berlin, Chicago, New York City) by the time I turn 60 
    • Currently I'm 51
    • I have 2 out of the 6 done (Chicago and New York City)
  • Why is this a MOONSHOT for me?
    • I don't run fast enough to qualify on time so I have to find other ways to get into each race
    • They each have their own registration nuances that make it challenging to get in
    • The cost and time to travel overseas is a challenge
I have 8.5 years from now to do this....and really it is less than that as I do not plan on attempting to get into or run any of the Majors this year (2017).  BUT....by Nov. 9th, 2025, I will have run all 6 of the Abbott World Marathon Majors...BECAUSE I CHOOSE TO!

What do you "CHOOSE TO?"  Don't limit yourself by what it looks like today.  Expand your vision....expand your reach.  TAKE YOUR MOONSHOT in this your BEST YEAR YET!  Comment to me below, or on whatever social platform you are reading this from, or send me an email at pete3jn2@gmail.com and let me know your MOONSHOT!

First landing on the moon by man......July 20, 1969
8 years, 56 days after the President "called his shot!"


No comments:

Post a Comment