Sunday, October 15, 2017

NUMBER 9



Today, Sunday October 15, 2017, I completed my 9th full marathon by running THE NEBRASKA MARATHON.

The day started out windy and chilly and ended windy and comfortable....at least in marathoner language.

The race started out in Mid-Town Omaha and ran to the down town area.  After a few turns and such, you made it out of down town around mile 5 only to return, briefly, around mile 7.

At mile 10, you cross over the Bob Kerry Pedestrian bridge into Iowa and at Mile 11, the half marathon turns back to the finish as the full marathon goes out another 7 miles and makes a turn at mile 18 to head back to the finish.

Once I passed that 11 mile mark, I was pretty much running alone.  

This gave me a lot of time...like almost 3 hours....to think.

I don't mind running alone...but I think I would like a group or someone to run with.

In the first half of the race, I saw someone with a shirt from this year's Chicago Marathon (which just ran last weekend).  I commented on her shirt and asked which distance she was going today?  She was running the half and I told her that I did that same combo last year.

We chatted a bit and off I went.  I needed to stop around mile 6 to stretch out my calf and she came up on me.  We ran and chatted for a couple of miles.

What caught my attention is that so many runners knew her. They were calling out her name and she was "Hi-5ing" them.  So I asked, "you seem to know many runners out here.  Are you in a running group or club?"  She said she was and told me the 2 clubs she was a part of and once again...away I went.

Here's my running problem (if you can call it that)....I don't like to talk when I run.  

I like to think.

I like to dream.

I like to pray.

Would I have to give that up to be in a group?

I don't know.

I do know this....when she and I were running and talking, the couple of miles flew by.  My hurting calf was not even a thought.

I like competition, and being in a running group might help that part out as well.

So, as I end the 2017 Running Season and BEST YEAR YET 3.0....maybe there is change on the horizon as we start to think about NUMBER 10 and beyond!

By the way....caught up with the CHEERLEADER a couple of times on the course.  ALWAYS right when I needed it!  Hearing that jumbo cowbell she rings is always soothing to my ears! 

Thanks honey for always being there.

The CHEERLEADER and me after it was over!

Not sure if Bella is excited that I finished..the cool medal..or the awesome beanie!



No comments:

Post a Comment