Friday, January 12, 2018

LIFE LESSONS



Today, I thought we would look at different lessons that life brings us.

When growing up, I heard many things that have carried over into my life, and thing that I have passed down to my boys.  Like:

  • "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all." (I'm really good at quoting this one, and I hope I do it when faced with it)
  • If you say naughty words, you'll get your mouth washed out with soap (yep, experienced this one too!)
Any way, I thought we would look at what our old friend, Dr. Seuss, had to say about the 5 LESSONS IN LIFE.

Now, I know there are more than 5..but we'll start here.  We'll look at what he said, and I'll add some commentary to each one.

Here we go.

Lesson # 1 - Today you are You, that is truer than true.  There is no one alive who is Youer than you.
  • So much here.  Why is it that we try to be someone we are not?  In the Bible, in 1 Corinthians 12:18, describing our lives like a physical body, it says that we are placed right where God wants us.  
  • Be yourself!  Everyone else is taken!
Lesson # 2 - Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
  • There is so much that each of us have to offer that is unique to us. 
  • I remember growing up that I was so concerned with the opinions of others.  Almost like George McFly in Back to the Future.  "What if they don't like it?  What if I fail?"  That was my battle cry.
  • Just like Lesson #1, I'm me...so I'm going to continue to be me.  I will still learn and grow and do things to better myself, but I'm going to be me in the process!
Lesson # 3 - You have brains in your head.  You have feet in your shoes.  You can steer yourself any direction you choose.
  • Growing up, I would get the question, "What do you want to be when you grow up?"  Others don't ask me that anymore, but I find my self asking that question.
  • If you want something, count the cost and then go after it.
  • We all have choices.  OWN THEM!  
Lesson # 4 - Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
  • Peer pressure.
  • Being one of the cool kids.
  • Wearing the right clothes.
  • Once again....JUST BE YOU!
  • Now, use tact and discretion and don't just say what you want to whoever you want.  Go back to the first part of Lesson #3....you have brains in your head....use them!
Lesson # 5 - Today I shall behave, as if this is the day I will be remembered.
  • I don't know about you, but I want to be remember for something positive.  Something good.  Something of impact.
  • I have this friend I used to work with whose greatest fear was doing something stupid and ending up on YouTube.  My response....don't do anything stupid.
  • Remember, MY RESPONSE IS MY RESPONSIBILITY.
BE YOU
STAND OUT
GO AFTER IT
BE AUTHENTIC
LEAVE A LEGACY

Great LIFE LESSONS to work on daily!


No comments:

Post a Comment