Saturday, January 6, 2018

INVICTUS


"Yet in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us."
Romans 8:37 [NKJV]


NEW YEAR.....NEW WORD!

A friend of the CHEERLEADER and mine asked us the other day, "What is your WORD for 2018?"

The other day, I got off the phone with a friend who asked me, "What is your WORD for 2018?"

Between the first ask and the second, I had my WORD:  INVICTUS!

INVICTUS is a latin word meaning: UNCONQUERED

It is probably best known for the short Victorian Poem by William Ernest Henley, written in the late 1800s.

Henley, due to complications arising for tuberculosis, had one of his legs amputated.  After that, he was told that his other leg would have to be amputated as well.  After working with another doctor, who was able to save his leg, Henley, while recovering, wrote the verses to the poem.

For him, the poem was his WORD.  For him, it was the message of displaying fortitude in the face of adversity.

When you think of a WORD or PHRASE for your year....for your life, how do you choose it?

Does it MOTIVATE you?

Does it MOVE you to do THAT MUCH MORE when you don't have anything left in the tank?

For me, my WORD for this year, INVICTUS, is a reminder that, because of Christ, I am UNCONQUERED.

I might have to fight through it, but I will come out on the other side.

Besides Romans 8:37 above, another verse that speaks to this same idea, and one that I hold on to, is 2 Corinthians 2:14 [NKJV] that says, "Now thanks be to God who always leads us in triumph in Christ." 

Find a word that speaks to you about how you want your year to be.

Adopt that word.

Live that word.



INVICTUS

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find me, unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.





No comments:

Post a Comment