Monday, May 11, 2020

SAY WHAT?



"The biopsy shows prostate cancer."  

This is what I heard four years ago today.

In the past, I have talked about the events leading up to this "reveal day."  I have been asked if I ever felt sick leading up to my biopsy.  NOPE!  That is why it is SO important to have an annual physical and get your ("yous GUYS out there") PSA levels checked.

My personal care doctor had been keeping his eye on my PSA levels the past few years, before this. He told me that it had slowly been rising, but nothing that was out of the ordinary for men my age.  UNTIL......

"Until" can get you, if it is out of the blue.  In my case, it really wasn't.  My doctor explained his reason for concern and wanting me to see the urologist.  He said that there was a big "spike" in my PSA numbers from my previous physical to this one.

Annual physicals = Early detection.  

Many, if not all of us, have either been affected by a cancer diagnosis; whether that is a diagnoses given to you, a loved one or even a friend.

But does the "c" word have to define you...me...others?


"How we view and define ourselves is perhaps the most essential paradigm we have as human beings. It determines all of our actions and reactions...The bottom line is this – 
we act in ways that support our true image of who we are." 
David Clark, "Out There, A Story of Ultra Recovery"

My identity is not in what I have done or what  has been done to me.  The story of my life....what defines me...my identity is WHO I AM....and more specifically WHO I AM IN CHRIST!  All the things I have done or that have been done to me and in me...they are all just a part of the journey....part of my BEST YEAR YET.

Do I ever wish that I didn't go through what I did four years ago?  ALL.THE.TIME!  I wouldn't want this vile disease to happen to anyone...EVER.  THAT is why I speak out on preventative measures; annual physicals; good health and nutrition; etc.  

"But early detection and your physical didn't prevent the cancer from attacking you, Tim."  You are correct, but the annual physical and EARLY detection most likely saved my life. 

WHAT DEFINES YOU?
  • Is it your job
  • Hobby
  • Status
  • Ministry
  • Bank account
  • Lack of bank account
  • Where you were born
  • Marathon medals
Don't let what happens TO you be the final determining factor on how you will live your life. 

Is there life after a cancer diagnosis?  By all means, YES! 

Live it to the FULL.  There is still so much for you to do in your BEST YEAR YET!


My 3 things I'm GRATEFUL for today:
  • Someone who knows how to draw blood good
  • A reliable car
  • One more day

No comments:

Post a Comment