Thursday, May 7, 2020

DON'T WASTE IT


A while back, I was talking with someone and they uttered the phrase, "Don't waste it....." They had a few things that fit the *blank* following the phrase, but I was captivated by those three words, "DON'T WASTE IT!"

I thought about many things that we have a tendency to waste, but today, we're going to focus on one thing to NOT waste:  INFLUENCE


in·flu·ence
ˈinflo͝oəns/
noun
  1. 1.
    the capacity to have an effect on the character, development, or behavior of someone or something, or the effect itself.


INFLUENCE is a powerful word.  Leadership expert, Dr. John C. Maxwell, has said that "Leadership is Influence....nothing more, nothing less."  We can be a good leader with influence or a bad leader with influence.

We influence MANY situations everyday, whether we realize it or not....whether we want to or not.  In 1993, the athletic brand Nike, did a commercial, featuring Charles Barkley, where Charles repeats over and over, "I am not a role model."  There is truth to that statement, but also, by our definition above, he was/is a role model.  Charles says that just because he can dunk a basketball, that doesn't make him a role model.  Parents, he says, are to be role models....and that is truth.  But say what we may, our actions by our words, declares our INFLUENCE at any given time, whether we signed up for it or not.

OK...all that being said, DON'T WASTE IT.....YOUR INFLUENCE!  You and I truly have an opportunity to inspire/influence/effect others in a positive way.  

I remember one of the final scenes in the movie, "Saving Private Ryan,"  Captain Miller, with his final words says to Private Ryan, "James, earn this....earn it." The scene cuts to present day and and elderly James Ryan, standing over Captain Miller's grave says, "Every day I think about what you said to me that day on the bridge.  I tried to live my life the best I could.  I hope that was enough.  I hope that, at least in your eyes, I've earned all that you have done for me."  THAT is INFLUENCE!

Well, we might not be have had to travel through war torn Europe to find someone to bring home...but we do have an opportunity to shape lives, in this our BEST YEAR YET.  Don't let some opportunities go by to be the calm in someone's storm....to be the voice of reason in their uncertainty.  A few year's ago, I had a colleague from a previous company quote something I had said.  He put it out on FaceBook for the world to see.  Honestly, I don't remember saying it, although it was something that I would and did say, but he shared it proudly and with meaning.  So, even at times when you are just talking, remember....SOMEONE IS LISTENING!  

INFLUENCE.....DON'T WASTE IT! 

My 3 things I'm GRATEFUL for today:
  • Spring weather
  • HOKA running shoes
  • Prayer
What are you GRATEFUL for today?  If you don't know what I mean, go back to the blog post from May 4th, "21 DAYS OF GRATITUDE," to see what I'm taking about here and start your 21 Day GRATITUDE Journey.  Drop me a line and let me know your in!





No comments:

Post a Comment