Monday, January 30, 2017

MY CHEERLEADER....BE ONE, HAVE ONE



"A person standing alone can be attacked and defeated, but two can stand back-to-back and conquer.  Three are even better, for a triple-braided cord is not easily broken."

Who's your CHEERLEADER?  Better yet, whose CHEERLEADER are you?  I think we all need someone in our corner....like Mick was to Rocky....or that we need to be in someone else's corner.  Sometimes being a CHEERLEADER, or being the "corner person" for someone else gets messy.  Life isn't always perfect and sometimes we find ourselves in a mess, whether it was self induced or an attack from the outside.  Either way, it's good...NO, it's GREAT to have someone who is with you through it all.

I have one such person like that (and I hope I'm the same way back to them); my wife, Chris.  She is the epitome of CHEERLEADER.  First, she was one growing up in Junior High and High School.  It didn't stop there.  I truly believe she has been gifted as an encourager.  In the Bible, the book of Romans, chapter 12, verse 8 (New Living Translation) says, "If your gift is to encourage others, be encouraging."  THAT right there is Chris.  

Over the past 30 plus years we have been married, she has been by my side through great times and not so good times...all the while letting you know that it's going to be ok and that you can do it.  I could site so many instances where she has done that with me, but let me just say that each time it is genuine and very needed.  

She's not just relegated to cheering me on during competitions, but that is what I want to tell you about here.  A few years ago I took up running and have since got really into it.  I did my first 5k and first 10k in the fall of 2012 about a week apart, then I had this crazy idea to train over the winter and run a half marathon.  She was right there telling me I could do it...even though the farthest I had ever run was 6.2 miles and that was the one time I ran the 10k. Also, to make it a bit muddy, back in 2008 I had surgery to remove 75% of the meniscus in my right knee, but once again, she's there telling me, "You've got this!"  Well, I got through that half, and then another and then another and then my first full marathon in April of 2014.  Since then I have many other half marathons, 6 other full marathons and many, many miles of training....with her traveling all over the place with me cheering me on and ringing her monster cowbell.  That cowbell has become a part of our race travel check list.  It has such a distinct sound that I can pick it out over all the other noise, and when I hear it, it is a reminder of the one who is in my corner.

Is your "sound" of encouragement distinct to others?  Are you words, words of encouragement or defeat?  My wife has shown me what it truly means to "cheer" when the circumstances look bad or really good.

Be an encourager...be someone's CHEERLEADER today!  You'll be glad you did!

Have Cowbell...will travel!

No comments:

Post a Comment