Sunday, June 21, 2015

"ARE YOU HAPPY DADDY?"



How did my sons grow up so fast?  Tomorrow (June 22nd), my youngest turns 20....20...20!  With 2 out of college, working their careers and the other in college, how did this happen?  I remember vividly, as little guys asking me, "are you happy Daddy?" The thought or desire to please me and make sure I wasn't upset was important to them then....I hope it's still the case now.

There are a number of fathers that this is not a happy day.  They are not able to enjoy their sons and/or daughters due to death or the diagnosis of a terminal disease of their child.  

I have compassion for those dads. 

It's because of this that I ran a marathon in Nashville April of 2014 as a St. Jude Hero.  It's the reason I'm running again as a St. Jude Hero in the New York City Marathon this upcoming November 1st.  The work that St. Jude's Children's Research Hospital has done and is doing since opening their doors in 1962 is amazing the 5 Year Survival Rate for Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia (blood cancer) went from 4% in 1962 to 94% today. Medulloblastoma (brain tumor) went from 10% in 1962 to 85% today.  These, along with other are in large part due to St. Jude's.  And although it takes $2 million dollars EACH DAY to operate St. Jude's and they will not stop finding cures and saving children.

So today, as you celebrate Father's Day, whether you are with your dad in person or by phone or if you are just celebrating the memory of your dad, do something that will make a difference in the lives of future dads or the dads with a future with their children.

To help support my efforts as a St. Jude Hero, go to http://heroes.stjude.org/timpeterson.

Thank you and HAPPY FATHER'S DAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment